Tuesday, 6 February 2018

Brush It Right

S.K. | 22:24 | 1Comments |
Bismillah . .

Assalamualaikum . .

Scroll-2 FB, terjumpa tips mengenai penjagaan gigi . . Hasil penulisan sahabat S.K. yang berada di Jordan . .  Semoga bermanfaat semua :")
No automatic alt text available.

Brushing your teeth is the most important step to maintain good oral hygiene. While everyone claims to know how to brush their teeth, here are some popular misconceptions related to tooth brushing.


#1: Hard-bristled toothbrush clean better.

The truth is, hard-bristled toothbrush can be tough on your gums and enamel. Soft-bristled toothbrushes are the best for you to use to care for your teeth and gums.


#2: “I brush properly, I don’t need floss”

Wrong. Brushing cleans only 65% of your teeth. What about the other 35%? These are the surfaces in between your teeth which the toothbrush cannot reach (even with ultra-thin bristles). Only a dental floss can remove food debris stuck in those areas. Neglecting to floss may lead to cavities you won’t even notice because they are formed in between your teeth.


#3: Baby teeth don’t need brushing.

Baby teeth (also known as milk teeth) are as important as adult teeth. These teeth need to be maintained and regularly brushed. For infants with no teeth, dentists recommend cleaning their gum after each feeding. As for children, their teeth should be brushed at least twice daily as soon as the first tooth erupt. It is important for parents to assist their children during brushing.


#4: Stop brushing and flossing is the gums bleed.

Bleeding gums can be a sign of gum disease, it is so important to floss and brush at least twice daily to help prevent gum disease. Don’t forget to mention any bleeding to your dentist.


#5: Bloody gums are from brushing too hard.

There is no reason whatsoever for bleeding to occur while brushing. It is not likely due to brushing too hard. If your gums are bleeding, it is most likely an early sign of gum disease and you want to take action before it gets worse.


#6: Brush teeth immediately after eating.

In actuality, when you brush your teeth within half an hour after eating, you could actually be doing significant damage because your enamel is softened by sugars and acids from the food. So, after eating, give some time for the teeth to be naturally hardened by saliva before you brush.


#7: Fluoridated toothpaste is harmful.

To receive any harmful effects from Fluoride, you would need to be exposed to twenty times more than you will get on daily basis. The fluoride in fluoridated toothpaste is safe, and is also essential for good oral health because it rebuilds damaged tooth enamel and protects your teeth from disease and decay.


#8: A toothbrush can last for years.

Some people tend to wait for the free toothbrush from hotels or airlines. But, dentists suggest that you replace your toothbrush every three months, or sooner if the bristles are frayed. This will help you maximize the effectiveness of the brushing and avoid hurting the gums.


#9: Cap the toothbrush, or keep it in closed container.

This is a very common misconception. Some people tend to cap their toothbrush soon after brushing to keep it clean. In contrary, this action can harbor plenty of bacteria on the toothbrush. The moist and closed environment is a great condition for growth of bacteria and other microorganisms. The correct way is to wash it properly and leave the toothbrush in open air so that it will dry. However, if you tend to keep your toothbrush in the bathroom, it is advised to have a barrier to avoid water droplets as people flush the toilet.


#10: Children and adult toothpaste are the same except for the taste.

Children toothpaste have different proportions of certain ingredients compared to adult toothpaste. It is necessary for parents to get the appropriate toothpaste for their children and monitor the amount of toothpaste they take per session. Children on their own, tend to use more toothpaste than they need because it tastes good. However, parents should limit the amount to only smear layer for children under 2 years of age and ‘pea-sized’ for children of 2 to 5 years of age.

Karya :Nabihah binti Mohamed Hanafi
Tahun 4 Pergigian JUST 

1 comment:

  1. dedua berus gigi keras n lembut guna.. depends on keadaan mulut n situasi nak gosok tu. kalo bangun tido akak suka yang keras n kalo lepas makan or just to make sure gigi bersih suka yang lembut. habit da tukar toothbrush every 3 months.. rupanya boleh tahan setahun hihi..

    nice sharing btw.. banyk dapat info baru ^^

    ReplyDelete

💌 0617 Comments💬 ♥ Thank you lovely ♥